Seven things to do in North Devon this bank holiday weekend – come rain or shine!
- Credit: Archant
The bank holiday weekend looks set to be a mixture of sunshine and showers in North Devon, so here are seven things to do in North Devon in the rain or the sunshine.
Find your bank holiday inspiration right here with our seven ideas of things to do in North Devon come rain or shine.
Visit the Minis at The Big Sheep
The Legendary Grand Tour is back in North Devon this weekend, but if you visit them at The Big Sheep on Saturday you can take advantage of the indoor activities at the family attraction no matter whether the sun is shining or the rain is pouring! If the sun does come out, find out where to watch them from the roadside here.
Walk or cycle the Tarka Trail
If there is a gap in the showers, hire a bike and cycle one of the many sections of the Tarka Trail. The 30-miles of traffic-free pathways take in stunning views of the estuary, and there are plenty of foodie stop offs on the way if you do need to avoid the rain.
You may also want to watch:
Watch some wildlife
Whether you want to see the Exmoor Beast at Exmoor Zoo, or glance some ancient dinosaurs at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, you’ve got plenty of options for both indoor and outdoor activities in North Devon. With a three-day weekend ahead, why not visit both and see a whole collection of fantastic beasts.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
Step back in time at Arlington
Arlington Court is one of many National Trust beauty spots in North Devon – but here you can shelter from any rain by looking around the carriage museum. If the rain is nowhere to be seen, walk around the stunning grounds and gardens.
Get in the water
If the weather is’t quite right for sitting on the beach, why not get in the water instead? From kayaking and surfing to stand-up paddleboarding, most of North Devon’s beaches offer a variety of activities which don’t rely on the weather. If it’s raining anyway then why not get stuck in and get wet?
Take a railway trip
Shelter from the rain and take in some stunning views by steam engine this bank holiday weekend. The Lynton to Barnstaple Railway is a lovely way to enjoy an afternoon. Pop along to Woody Bay Station and ride in the steam engine for a trip you’ll never forget. And if the sun comes out, you can enjoy a coastal walk after.
Sand of Music
If you like music and you like beer, there’s no better way to spend the bank holiday than in Westward Ho! The Sand of Music festival will have live music from local bands at The Waterfront Inn on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, making it the perfect way to shelter from any rain.