Ten perfect North Devon pub gardens
- Credit: Archant
North Devon’s pubs make the great British summer perfect for a spot of al fresco refreshment. Whether you’re after a secluded spot, a town-centre retreat or a gorgeous view, these 10 pub gardens will have you out of the office door before you can say ‘pint please’.
1) The Pier House, Westward Ho!
Round off a trek on the South West Coast Path with a drink on the Pier House’s top deck. With Hartland on one side, Croyde on the other and nothing but blue sea in between, there aren’t many places where a drink in the sun can look quite so picturesque.
2) The Westleigh Inn, Westleigh
Make the short pedal up to the Westleigh Inn from the Tarka Trail and recharge with some of North Devon’s finest local ales. Sample some finely cooked traditional pub grub out in the sun with towering views over the estuary.
You may also want to watch:
3) The White Hart, Bideford
Tuck yourself away from the hustle and bustle of Bideford Quay in one of the town’s oldest pubs. Immerse yourself in this traditional setting while you enjoy a real ale or cider in the White Hart’s outdoor retreat.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 7 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 8 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 9 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 10 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
4) The Bell Inn, Chittlehampton
Roam into the heart of North Devon and treat yourself to a gin and tonic made with handcrafted Exmoor gin. Take a pew on the grass or take to benches with a vintage backdrop as the sun beats down on this village escape.
5) The Crealock Arms, Littleham
The Crealock Arms is an idyllic countryside spot in the heart of rural North Devon. Immerse yourself in the vibrant heart of the quaint village with some of the finest Bideford ales.
6) The Pig on the Hill, Abbotsham
Sitting atop the steep climb from Westward Ho! is the Pig on the Hill. Their ‘PigWam’ makes al-fresco drinking an all-weather occasion, as well as a hotspot for live music in the great outdoors.
7) Hunters Inn, Heddon’s Mouth
Nestled away in far reaches of Exmoor, the Hunters Inn is surrounded by woodland. Reward yourself for completing one of the many walks around the Heddon’s Mouth area with a pint - but don’t let the roaming peacocks at it.
8) The Braunton Inn, Heanton
Whether you’re making a pit stop from a coastal cycle or sneaking away from the surf-seekers, the Braunton Inn’s grand manor house origins give the perfect backdrop for a fine wine or a crisp craft beer overlooking the estuary.
9) Bull and Bear, Barnstaple
The Bull and Bear’s roof-top beer garden is the perfect sun trap for anyone looking to escape from the pounding footsteps on Barnstaple High Street. Tuck into something from the authentic American menu.
10) Pier Tap and Grill, Ilfracombe
Is there any better way to spend a sunny evening in Ilfracombe than on the Pier Brewery Tap and Grill’s Poop Deck? Look out to the Atlantic Ocean with a locally crafted real ale and a succulent grilled burger while the cliff face shelters you from the summer breeze.
Have we missed any? Email your suggestions and pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org