Sea Ilfracombe returns with a splash
WIN tickets to headline events at popular festival, returning to the town from August 31 to September 4.
ILFRACOMBE will be awash with a massive range of events and activities with a natural or nautical flavour as the Sea Ilfracombe Maritime Festival returns to the town for a fourth year.
From Friday, August 31 to Tuesday, September 4 there will be a packed programme of more than 100 exciting and diverse events ranging from music, entertainment, sports, exhibitions, guided tours, food trails, workshops and much more.
Popular highlights include the Friday night Party on the Oldenburg, hosted by Martyn Babb and Andy Barnes, with shanties and sea songs from artists from across England. Refreshments are included, and there will be a bar on board.
An ‘On Deck and Below’ concert at the Landmark Theatre on Saturday will be headlined by Hughie Jones, the former lead singer with The Spinners.
You may also want to watch:
One lucky North Devon Gazette reader will win tickets to either the party or the concert – see below for more details.
Saturday will also see a welcome to the Cultural Olympiad artwork Nowhereisland as it arrives in Ilfracombe. The Arts Council-funded project will be moored off the harbour until Tuesday, with plenty of opportunities to view and find out more about it.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 4 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 5 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 8 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 9 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 10 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
Ilfracombe Yacht Club is even staging an ‘Around the Island Race’ for Y-dinghies – around Nowhereisland, that is.
Venues across the seafront and harbour area will be taking part in the festival, with pubs, cafes and halls hosting everything from free live music to a historical food plus art exhibitions and workshops.
There is plenty for younger visitors to enjoy, including rock pool rambles, a pirate party, fun craft activities and more.
Plus for the active there is gig rowing, rambling and the opportunity to try scuba diving. The even more active can take part in the Sea Ilfracombe Triathlon, which includes a sea swim, cycling and running on the Sunday.
For the full festival line up, go to www.seailfracombe.co.uk.
* WIN a pair of tickets to ‘Party on the Oldenburg’ or the ‘On Deck and Below’ concert, your choice. Answer this simple question: ‘Which popular band was Hughie Jones lead singer of?’
A: The Spanners.
B: The Spanglers.
C: The Spinners.
To enter text NDG SEA, your name, postcode and your answer A, B or C to 80058. Texts cost 25 pence plus your standard network rate. Alternatively, email your name, address and contact telephone number plus your answer A, B or C to email@example.com.
The first randomly drawn correct entry will win. Closing date for entries is 10am noon on Wednesday, August 22. Usual terms and conditions apply.