Sea Ilfracombe returns with a splash
WIN tickets to headline events at popular festival, returning to the town from August 31 to September 4.
ILFRACOMBE will be awash with a massive range of events and activities with a natural or nautical flavour as the Sea Ilfracombe Maritime Festival returns to the town for a fourth year.
From Friday, August 31 to Tuesday, September 4 there will be a packed programme of more than 100 exciting and diverse events ranging from music, entertainment, sports, exhibitions, guided tours, food trails, workshops and much more.
Popular highlights include the Friday night Party on the Oldenburg, hosted by Martyn Babb and Andy Barnes, with shanties and sea songs from artists from across England. Refreshments are included, and there will be a bar on board.
An ‘On Deck and Below’ concert at the Landmark Theatre on Saturday will be headlined by Hughie Jones, the former lead singer with The Spinners.
One lucky North Devon Gazette reader will win tickets to either the party or the concert – see below for more details.
Saturday will also see a welcome to the Cultural Olympiad artwork Nowhereisland as it arrives in Ilfracombe. The Arts Council-funded project will be moored off the harbour until Tuesday, with plenty of opportunities to view and find out more about it.
- 1 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 2 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 3 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 6 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 7 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 8 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 9 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
- 10 OPINION: Could you breath only through a straw? - North Devon Hospice
Ilfracombe Yacht Club is even staging an ‘Around the Island Race’ for Y-dinghies – around Nowhereisland, that is.
Venues across the seafront and harbour area will be taking part in the festival, with pubs, cafes and halls hosting everything from free live music to a historical food plus art exhibitions and workshops.
There is plenty for younger visitors to enjoy, including rock pool rambles, a pirate party, fun craft activities and more.
Plus for the active there is gig rowing, rambling and the opportunity to try scuba diving. The even more active can take part in the Sea Ilfracombe Triathlon, which includes a sea swim, cycling and running on the Sunday.
For the full festival line up, go to www.seailfracombe.co.uk.
* WIN a pair of tickets to ‘Party on the Oldenburg’ or the ‘On Deck and Below’ concert, your choice. Answer this simple question: ‘Which popular band was Hughie Jones lead singer of?’
A: The Spanners.
B: The Spanglers.
C: The Spinners.
To enter text NDG SEA, your name, postcode and your answer A, B or C to 80058. Texts cost 25 pence plus your standard network rate. Alternatively, email your name, address and contact telephone number plus your answer A, B or C to email@example.com.
The first randomly drawn correct entry will win. Closing date for entries is 10am noon on Wednesday, August 22. Usual terms and conditions apply.