North Devon services bring beautiful memories back to life
- Credit: Archant
Light Up a Life appeal 2015
For Julie and Rick Dean from Fremington, attending a Light Up a Life ceremony is a poignant way to remember their much-loved son Kierran, who died aged six in 2003.
Kierran was born without an immune system and spent much of his short life in and out of hospitals.
After help and bereavement support from Children’s Hospice South West, Julie and Rick started to attend the Light Up a Life services as a way of helping them grieve.
The services offer the family a time of reflection. Rick said: “We love attending the Light Up a Life services because for us, the simple act of lighting a candle brings a bright moment back into our lives.
You may also want to watch:
“That light reminds us of all the wonderful moments Kierran brought into our lives. Its brightness reminds us of the beautiful memories we have of our short time together.”
The couple also find solace in knowing there are others at the services that have experienced the loss of someone dear to them.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
Rick and Julie say without the support from CHSW, they are not sure how they would have coped.
Following his death, Kierran was laid to rest in the ‘Starborn’ room at Little Bridge House. This is a special facility which allows for friends and family to visit the child in a beautiful room rather than a funeral parlour.
The hospice helped with funeral arrangements and provided bereavement support for the family.
Julie now volunteers for the hospice and Rick fundraises tirelessly, having recently completed the North, South, East and West runs.