North Devon services bring beautiful memories back to life
- Credit: Archant
Light Up a Life appeal 2015
For Julie and Rick Dean from Fremington, attending a Light Up a Life ceremony is a poignant way to remember their much-loved son Kierran, who died aged six in 2003.
Kierran was born without an immune system and spent much of his short life in and out of hospitals.
After help and bereavement support from Children’s Hospice South West, Julie and Rick started to attend the Light Up a Life services as a way of helping them grieve.
The services offer the family a time of reflection. Rick said: “We love attending the Light Up a Life services because for us, the simple act of lighting a candle brings a bright moment back into our lives.
You may also want to watch:
“That light reminds us of all the wonderful moments Kierran brought into our lives. Its brightness reminds us of the beautiful memories we have of our short time together.”
The couple also find solace in knowing there are others at the services that have experienced the loss of someone dear to them.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
Rick and Julie say without the support from CHSW, they are not sure how they would have coped.
Following his death, Kierran was laid to rest in the ‘Starborn’ room at Little Bridge House. This is a special facility which allows for friends and family to visit the child in a beautiful room rather than a funeral parlour.
The hospice helped with funeral arrangements and provided bereavement support for the family.
Julie now volunteers for the hospice and Rick fundraises tirelessly, having recently completed the North, South, East and West runs.