Five New Year’s Day walks in North Devon to kick off 2018
- Credit: Archant
If you fancy a New Year’s Day stroll, here’s our guide to some of the best walking spots to grab some fresh air on the first day of 2018.
It looks set to be a blustery New Year’s Day in North Devon, but that shouldn’t stop you getting out for a breath of fresh air.
If you’re feeling brave enough to wrap up warm and get outside, we’ve put together some of the best walks to blow away the cobwebs.
Whether you fancy a woodland ramble or a bracing stroll along the South West Coast Path, here are a few ideas to inspire you, just make sure you bring the welly boots!
Westward Ho! beach
You may also want to watch:
There’s nothing like the sea air for a fresh start, so kick off 2018 with a walk along Westward Ho! beach.
Escape the crowds by strolling around Northam Burrows and out across the sandy swathes.
Or if you fancy a bit of community spirit, head down to the slipway for just before 11.20am to cheer on the brave swimmers in fancy dress.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
Torridge Tarka Trail
Amble alongside the River Torridge as you take in views across the estuary.
Parking at Instow, you can walk across the old station line, across the former platform, and out along the riverside on the Tarka Trail.
You can choose to take the route up to Bideford where you can grab a hot chocolate or a pint before heading back again.
Valley of the Rocks, Lynton
If you want to catch the first sunrise of 2018, nowhere would provide more stunning views than the Valley of the Rocks.
On the edge of Exmoor at Lynton, walk along the coastpath and take in the dramatic vistas.
It’s a great spot to find somewhere to stop and admire the views while plannng your new year’s resolutions.
Hartland to Speke’s Mill Mouth
Feel the power of the ocean as you stand on the clifftops at Hartand Point.
You can take a round-walk past St Nectan’s Church and out to Speke’s Mill Mouth where you’ll find waterfalls to discover.
It’s certainly a dramatic walk to take in some of the finest North Devon scenery.
Woolacombe to Putsborough
Another beach favourite, park in Woolacombe and walk along the beach to discover Putsborough at the other end.
You can grab a hot drink and some lunch at either end before making your way back.
You’ll be able to watch the surfers as you go, and you could do the return trip along the South West Coast Path.
Got any great shots?
We’d love to see your photos from your winter walks - send them to us via our iwitness24 website and they could feature online and in the paper.
You might also like...