Gazette readers’ generous donations for Foodbank appeal
- Credit: Archant
The North Devon Gazette says thankyou to its readers for spreading Christmas cheer with donations to the Northern Devon Foodbank.
Gazette readers have once again gone above and beyond to collect Christmas treats for those in need.
The paper launched its third annual Give A Gift Appeal with the Northern Devon Foodbank this month.
We asked readers to donate extra treats, such as mince pies and chocolates, for the Foodbank to give out alongside emergency food parcels.
Barnstaple Foodbank team leader Linda Tancock said she was ‘completely overwhelmed’ to receive the donations after seeing some ‘very hard cases’ on Monday.
She said: “We gave one mum with a family-of-three a gingerbread house for her to make with her children and she could not believe it.
You may also want to watch:
“We started giving parcels out last Friday and we’ll be opening on Friday, Monday and Christmas Eve.
“We have seen a lot of hard cases and a lot of families.”
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Covid-19 measures in Devon care homes to continue
Another volunteer said one young man’s face had ‘lit up’ when he heard he was going to receive a festive parcel.
“It’s just a little something to help them keep their heads up in such a difficult time,” Linda added.
“A lot of these are people who have paid into the system and then they lose their job or something and they end up with nothing.”
Find out more about the Foodbank at northerndevon.foodbank.org.uk