Gazette readers’ generous donations for Foodbank appeal
- Credit: Archant
The North Devon Gazette says thankyou to its readers for spreading Christmas cheer with donations to the Northern Devon Foodbank.
Gazette readers have once again gone above and beyond to collect Christmas treats for those in need.
The paper launched its third annual Give A Gift Appeal with the Northern Devon Foodbank this month.
We asked readers to donate extra treats, such as mince pies and chocolates, for the Foodbank to give out alongside emergency food parcels.
Barnstaple Foodbank team leader Linda Tancock said she was ‘completely overwhelmed’ to receive the donations after seeing some ‘very hard cases’ on Monday.
She said: “We gave one mum with a family-of-three a gingerbread house for her to make with her children and she could not believe it.
You may also want to watch:
“We started giving parcels out last Friday and we’ll be opening on Friday, Monday and Christmas Eve.
“We have seen a lot of hard cases and a lot of families.”
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 10 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
Another volunteer said one young man’s face had ‘lit up’ when he heard he was going to receive a festive parcel.
“It’s just a little something to help them keep their heads up in such a difficult time,” Linda added.
“A lot of these are people who have paid into the system and then they lose their job or something and they end up with nothing.”
Find out more about the Foodbank at northerndevon.foodbank.org.uk