Five of the best South West Coast Path walks in North Devon
Fancy a brisk stroll or a hike along the cliffs? Here’s five suggestions of walks along the South West Coast Path through North Devon...
From glorious sandy sweeps to rugged clifftops, the South West Coast Path sweeps right along the northern peninsular of the county from Hartland to Exmoor.
The South West Coast Path takes in 630 miles of stunning coastal scenery, acrossing right through North Devon.
Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or looking for an afternoon amble, here are five of the best coastal walks through North Devon.
1. Baggy Point, Croyde
You may also want to watch:
Park in the National Trust car park at Baggy Point and find easy access to the rugged, ciffside walk. Walk to the tip of Baggy Point and back again following the clearly-marked signposts for an easy, 2.7 mile walk.
2. Heddon’s Mouth
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
Parking at Heddon’s Mouth, you can stroll through gladed woodland, alongside a bubbling stream and emerge at the pebbled beach. Pack a picnic for this 2.1mile round walk or pop into the Hunter’s Inn.
3. Lynton and the Valley of the Rocks
The Valley of the Rocks is a magnificent site – and this easy, 2.7mile walk, beginning and ending at Lynton Cliff Railway Station, is worth it. Hike along the high cliffs and take in the glorious coastline.
4. Westward Ho! to Cornborough Cliffs
Walk along the old railway line to the viewing point on Cornborough Cliffs. In the spring you can see the seabirds nest among the pink thrift on the cliff ledges. This part of the South West Coast Path is easily accessible to all.
5. Home Farm Marsh Walk
Fancy a challenge? Start off at Barnstaple Railway Station and take in this 8.7 mile round walk. Enjoy the flat, level terrain of the Tarka Trail, through Fremington, and take in the historical charms along the way.
For detailed route maps and more information on the South West Coast Path, visit www.southwestcoastpath.com.