Five of the best South West Coast Path walks in North Devon
Fancy a brisk stroll or a hike along the cliffs? Here’s five suggestions of walks along the South West Coast Path through North Devon...
From glorious sandy sweeps to rugged clifftops, the South West Coast Path sweeps right along the northern peninsular of the county from Hartland to Exmoor.
The South West Coast Path takes in 630 miles of stunning coastal scenery, acrossing right through North Devon.
Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or looking for an afternoon amble, here are five of the best coastal walks through North Devon.
1. Baggy Point, Croyde
You may also want to watch:
Park in the National Trust car park at Baggy Point and find easy access to the rugged, ciffside walk. Walk to the tip of Baggy Point and back again following the clearly-marked signposts for an easy, 2.7 mile walk.
2. Heddon’s Mouth
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 5 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
Parking at Heddon’s Mouth, you can stroll through gladed woodland, alongside a bubbling stream and emerge at the pebbled beach. Pack a picnic for this 2.1mile round walk or pop into the Hunter’s Inn.
3. Lynton and the Valley of the Rocks
The Valley of the Rocks is a magnificent site – and this easy, 2.7mile walk, beginning and ending at Lynton Cliff Railway Station, is worth it. Hike along the high cliffs and take in the glorious coastline.
4. Westward Ho! to Cornborough Cliffs
Walk along the old railway line to the viewing point on Cornborough Cliffs. In the spring you can see the seabirds nest among the pink thrift on the cliff ledges. This part of the South West Coast Path is easily accessible to all.
5. Home Farm Marsh Walk
Fancy a challenge? Start off at Barnstaple Railway Station and take in this 8.7 mile round walk. Enjoy the flat, level terrain of the Tarka Trail, through Fremington, and take in the historical charms along the way.
For detailed route maps and more information on the South West Coast Path, visit www.southwestcoastpath.com.