10 of the best dog-friendly beaches in North Devon
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
We’ve sought out the best dog-friendly beaches in North Devon for your four-legged friends to enjoy all summer long.
The summer season means dog bans are coming into effect from May 1, but there are still plenty of places to enjoy the sand and surf.
Whether you’re a local or a visitor, here are some of the best dog-friendly beaches in North Devon.
Half of beautiful Putsborough Sands has plenty of space for dogs for to enjoy running around and playing in the surf.
You may also want to watch:
There’s only a restriction on part of the beach from April-October, but the rest is dog-friendly.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
Saunton Sands is a hugely popular beach for dog walkers, with dog-owners asked to turn left at the slipway.
Here you’ll find miles of sand to run around and throw balls and sticks to your heart’s content.
Woolacombe’s glorious sands are split into three zones, with one dog free, one for dogs on leads, and one with no restrictions.
This allows everyone to enjoy the beach - and dogs are also allowed on leads at nearby Barricane too.
If you fancy visiting the other end of Saunton, head down the toll road to Crow Point.
You’ll find the quieter end of Saunton Sands with plenty of dunes to climb with your dog.
Dog restrictions are in place on some of Westward Ho! but if you venture between Sandymere and the estuary, dogs are allowed.
This gives a vast expanse of sandy beach to wander around with your four-legged friend.
Take your four-legged friend on an adventure over the cobbles at Clovelly, where dogs are allowed all year round.
You can amble around the estate and take them down for a swim in the sea too.
Venture past Ilfracombe and out to Hele Bay for a lesser-known spot which is perfect for dogs.
The small beach allows dogs year-round and is a great place to get away from the crowds.
The rocky beach at Lynmouth can provide a great place for your dog to let off steam during the summer.
Head to Lynmouth and enjoy an ice-cream at this proper seaside destination.
If you’re visiting Ilfracombe, Wildersmouth is the perfect place to take your dog.
You can even take water-loving pooches for a paddle here too.
This little cove is a haven for water-lovers, and allows dogs on its sands year-round.
Take your dog for a walk around the boats and enjoy watching watersports enthusiasts in the sea.