Bideford Christmas Light Switch On 2017: What you need to know
- Credit: Archant
When do Bideford’s Christmas lights get switched on? Find out everything you need to know about the Bideford light switch on event, including timings on the day, here.
Late night shopping, Santas running through the town and aerial artists on the Quay will complete Bideford’s festive events in the countdown to Christmas.
Bideford will be switching on its Christmas lights in style on Sunday, December 3, with new organisers at the helm of this year’s festive celebrations.
South West Event Management Solutions is taking over the event and promises to put on a spectacular show for the whole family.
Here’s what to expect:
You may also want to watch:
12pm: The Christmas Light Switch On event kicks off on Bideford Quay with entertainment for all the family. School choirs will take it in turns to perform on stage, and there will be fairground rides along the quayside between the Long Bridge and the Lundy office. Entertainers include balloon modelling, face-painting and stilt walkers.
3.30pm: The Children’s Hospice South West annual Santas on the Run event will see the Quay awash with festive red, as hundreds of Santas take part in the 2km charity run. Santas can walk, jog or run the route and everyone who takes part will get a free Santa suit as well as a medal. Fundraising from the run helps to support the work of the hospice, which supports local children with life- limiting conditions.
5pm: The big light switch on will take place on the Quay; come along and take in the festive cheer as the town lights up.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
5-5.30pm: A reindeer parade will make its way around the town, with Santa pulled around the streets, and along Mill Street, in his sleigh. There will also be a chance to meet some of your favourite characters, such as Dreckly The Dragon, as they parade up and down the Quay.
6.45pm: Fantastic fireworks will light up the sky as the celebrations draw to a close. Wrap up warm and line the quayside to watch the show.