Barnstaple Christmas Lights 2018: All you need to know
- Credit: Archant
A packed programme of festive events in Barnstaple kicks off with the town’s Christmas light switch-on event on Sunday, November 18.
Panto stars and community heroes will once again be helping to illuminate the town at the end of another huge day of festivities. Here’s what to expect on the day:
11am: Christmas Art, Craft and Food Fair in the Pannier Market in aid of North Devon Hospice. Start your Christmas shopping with some of the wonderful artisan food, crafts, clothing and toys, and take in the beautiful Christmas wreaths decorated by local community groups, charities and businesses. The wreaths will be judged at 12pm before winners are announced.
1pm: Local dance schools take part in the annual Children in Need Tapathon world record attempt – go along and cheer them on.l
4pm: Head over to the Square for a magical, festive mix of music and entertainment until the countdown to the big switch-on. Centre Stage School kick things off at 4pm, before Bicycle Repair Man at 4.30pm and Soulcraft at 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
5.30pm: Before the main lights are illuminated there will be a chance to support the North Devon Hospice and Children’s Hospice South West’s Light up a Life campaign as a special star is lit up to mark the launch of the appeal.
6pm: After a special performance from two of this year’s Peter Pan pantomime stars, the pair and a community hero selected by local radio station, The Voice, will push the plunger to light up the town.
- 1 Knapp House must pay £90,000 for pool death of George Miller
- 2 Funding confirmed for work on 'dangerous' North Devon road
- 3 £11 million bid to get Barnstaple's heart beating again
- 4 Plans for 350 new homes in Ilfracombe recommended for approval
- 5 Novelty balloon race fundraiser for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Work on new North Devon leisure centre remains on schedule
- 7 Van and motorcycle collision causing 'heavy traffic' in Barnstaple
- 8 Two men deny attempted murder of man stabbed in Ilfracombe park
- 9 Barnstaple fugitive who skipped court to get drunk jailed
- 10 Shocked widow finds drunken sailor asleep in her Bideford home
Voice presenters Hopps and Chapple will keep the party going before inviting the community hero on stage.
Barnstaple town centre manager, Hannah Harrington, said: “I’m really excited about the festivities this Christmas which really do offer something for everyone.
“A huge thank you must go to all the local businesses and councillors who have supported us, without which none of the events would be possible.”