Lee leads way as Bideford get back on track with win over Paignton

North Devon Gazette

BIDEFORD put their drubbing at Newton Abbot behind them with a hard-earned 18-6 win over Paignton in Western Counties West.

Paignton may be down in the bottom three in the division, but they made life hard for Bideford from start to finish.

Mike Sandercock’s penalty gave Paignton an early lead, but Bideford levelled midway through the half with a Pat Sanders three pointer.

Sandercock restored Paignton’s lead with a second penalty and Bideford trailed until just before the break.

Bideford’s Rob Elliott made a break before putting Reece Pearn in under the posts. Sanders converted for a 10-6 lead.

Bideford played with more energy in the second half and started to dominate field position with Mark Lee running the show from fly-half.

Sanders gave Bideford some security with a second penalty but it was Lee who sealed it 15 minutes from time with an individual try.

Bradley Goaman, the Bideford team manager, said it took a half-time reset to get the side on course.

“Before then we were scrappy with too many individual errors that we need to work on correcting,” said Goaman.

“We were not accurate enough to capitalise at crucial times, but in the second half we changed a few things and were a lot more positive in attack.

“Mark Lee had a huge game and was very clinical at key points in the game.”

Goaman said Bideford were tested at the back by Paignton and had to be on their toes.

“Paignton never gave up and caused us a few problems,” said Goaman.

“We defended incredibly well – Alex Priest had a huge game at open-side – and they could not break us.”

Bideford travel to Penryn this Saturday.

TORRINGTON’S wait for a win in Devon One is over after they defeated Plymouth Argaum 50-11 at Donnacroft.

Argaum, who had only won once themselves going into the latest batch of fixtures, had the second-worst defensive record in the division before the match and featured high on Torrie’s target lost.

Two tries each for Blaine Quaintance and Aiden Guppy were the foundations of Torrington’s winning performance.

Guppy collected a personal haul of 25 points thanks to his tries, six conversions and a penalty.

Jamie Sands and Gavin Mitchell scored the other Torrington tries.

Zerran Bell, the Torrington coach, said the sizeable scoreline was what the team deserved.

“We played the patterns we trained with and really controlled the game,” said Bell.

“Blaine had a great game at scrum-half and the return of Mike Wigley gave the pack the leadership and direction they needed to put in the performance I knew they had in them.”

Torrington make the long trip to Salcombe this Saturday.

SOUTH Molton stay fourth in the Devon One table after crushing Totnes 52-5 on the Borough Park.

Molton helped themselves to seven tries in total: two each for George Down and Ben Keylock and one apiece for Richard Gordon, Jake Cook and Shaun Ivall-East. Cook converted all seven.

Skipper Reece Eury said Molton showed their intent from the start, which has not always been the case this season,

“We have struggled to get into a game for the first 20 minutes most weeks, but this time we started well from the off, “ said Eury.

“We were dominant in the set piece and the backs preformed really well.

“Our first try  – line-out ball to the backs and a training park move to score in the corner – was particularly good.

“It is exciting for the team as we know we're still not playing at 100 per cent.

“In the huddle after the game the players were happy, but also disappointed because they knew we could have done more.”

Tamar Saracens visit Unicorn Park this Saturday.

BARNSTAPLE lost 48-24 away to Dings Crusaders as their struggle to get away from the wrong end of National Two South continues.

As Dings had only lost once at home this season – leaders Worthing pipped them by two points – it was always going to be a big ask for second-bottom Barum to take much other than bonus points back to North Devon.

Barum briefly led 10-7 in the first half, but by the break had slipped 20-10 behind.

After the interval it was largely one-way traffic in Barnstaple’s direction as the Bristol side added four more tries to run-out comfortable winners. Losing skipper Winston James and stand-off Kyran McManus to the sin-bin in the second half did Barum no favours.

Dings, where former Exeter Chiefs regular Luke Arscott is the player-coach, went ahead after 17 minutes and were only behind for seven minutes during the rest of the game.

Jake Murphy kicked a penalty for Barum, who took the lead when he converted a try from skipper James.

A two-try burst put Dings back in front before half time and there they stayed.

Full-back Will Topps and replacement prop Mitch Turner scored second-half tries for Barnstaple. Murphy converted both.

Barnstaple have no game at 1st XV level this Saturday afternoon