Ilfracombe Carnival comes to town
Picture special: Plenty of innovation as the town’s popular carnival returns.
THE ‘British Olympic sumo synchronised swimming team’, members of ‘Team GB’ and more than a few pirates were among the many imaginative and colourful characters to take their places in Ilfracombe Carnival.
Yesterday evening (Thursday) walkers, floats and bands joined the festivities organised by Ilfracombe St John Ambulance to make their way from Hillsborough, along the High Street and down to the seafront.
The charity’s annual fund raiser collected a total of �2,753 on the night, just slightly less than last year.
Once again there were plenty of highly creative costumes and themes, including Woolacombe Badminton Club’s interpretation of how the ‘British Olympic sumo synchronised swimming team’ might appear, which gave them first in their class.
You may also want to watch:
The Martyn Cup for best in show went to the ‘Bonkers Buccaneers’ from the Landmark Theatre and Make the Move crew, who also took the trade Cup.
Committee chairman Graham Moger said they had been delighted with the night: “Thank you everyone for all their hard work, particularly the entries that came in from Combe Martin,” he said.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
“The money raised from the carnival will be used to support our volunteers who provide emergency medical aid at many public events and first aid training in the Ilfracombe area.”
Class 1 (Motorised Vehicles) - 1st Best of British, Mark Booker; 2nd Uncle Tom Cobbley, Combe Martin; 3rd The Club – M l Huxtable.
Class 2 (Decorate Trade Vehicles Cup) - 1st Bonkers Buccaneers, Landmark Theatre, Carol Turner.
Class 3 (Walking Adults) - 1st Woolacombe Badminton, Martyn Hocking; 2nd Ilfracombe Rugby Club, Leo Cooper; 3rd Fifty Shades of Grey, Emily Cracknell. Highly Commended: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe – Sylvia Sherman.
Class 4 (Walking child up to age 16 singles and groups) - 1st Olympic Opening Ceremony Take two, Mrs L Tozer; 2nd Team GB, Janice Squire; 3rd: 124 days to go, Jamie Toogood. Highly Commended: Spanish Girl, Denise Clemence.
Class 5 (Walking mixed groups adults and children two or more) - 1st Keith Lemon-Bank Tidy, Shane and Jacob Gooch; 2nd Indian Takeaway, Susan Irwin; 3rd: North Devon Olympic team, Roy Imeson. Highly Commended: Ilfracombe Town Majorette, J Harper.
* CLICK on the galleries to the top right of this page to see more pictures.