Firefighters are currently dealing with a fire at the John May butcher’s shop in South Molton.
Two crews from Barnstaple and crew from South Molton have managed to contain the blaze to a storeroom at the rear of the property.
It is understood that staff had been frying pork scratchings and that the hot oil had ignited.
Barnstaple station manager Dean Hastie said that firefighters used a hose reel jet to stop the fire from spreading to the ceiling.
He said one woman was being treated for smoke inhalation and that paramedics were on route.
Crews are currently still at the scene checking for hot spots using a thermal imaging camera.
Part of East Street (the B3227) is currently closed to traffic.