Goal haul is good news for some

Joseph Bulmer

Torridgeside and Barnstaple show their teeth with remarkable 22-0 routs on the same day

THE race for the Intermediate Two title is already shaping up to be a closely-fought contest where winning games simply isn’t enough.

The top two teams obliterated the goal averages in the division on Saturday, so much so that it all proved too much for one side, who have decided to withdraw from the league.

AFC Anchor Reserves notified the league that they’d had enough just hours after a 22-0 drubbing at the hands of Barnstaple FC. Their withdrawal meant that all points and goals scored against the stricken side have been chalked off the scoreboard.

That includes the 10 goals scored on Saturday by Connor Nash, who is already leading the division’s Golden Goal competition with a two-and-a-half-goals-per-game ratio. Other scorers on the day for Barnstaple were Tom Nash (4), Bobby Davidson (2), Sam Phillips (2), Maurice Charley, Rob Wallace and Wayne Goldsmith.

The news will have come as a major disappointment to Barnstaple on a day where rivals Torridgeside Reserves took top spot, bizarrely with a 22-0 win of their own.

Their massive victory at home to South Molton Reserves featured 10 goals for veteran striker Andy Stevens, six for Sam Pett and singles for Simon Grigg, Sean Letheren, Jules Dymond, Will Taylor and Jack Gilbert.

Stevens, 41, said it was the most goals he’d ever scored in a competitive match.

Meanwhile, South Molton spokesperson Dave Filer said the Images were 10-0 down at half-time.

“Having no goalkeeper gave us a massive problem, as players took it in turn to go in goal,” he said.

“I think all the lads slept very well that night because of all the running around they did. Having only one sub made it a difficult job.”

It was a much closer affair at Bideford’s Victoria Park as Anchor Chiefs and Pilton Academicals Reserves shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

Shayne Voisey broke the deadlock for the Chiefs on 71 minutes before Claudio Pinto restored parity for the Accies with a far post header with 10 minutes to play.

Three 17-year-olds combined to give Braunton Fourths a 4-1 win at Hartland Reserves.

Tom Hannah scored two and Ben Woodward and Sebastian Latham scored singles as Braunton opened up a 4-1 lead at the break.

Hartland hit back twice 10 minutes before time to set up a nervy finish, Steven Heard, Paul Parker and Billy Wickfield the scorers.

Braunton manager Mark Wood said: “Hartland did very well to come back and if we’d have carried on a bit longer they might have pipped it.”

With a number of regulars missing on the day, Buckland Brewer extended their unbeaten run to four games with a 2-1 win at Georgeham and Croyde Reserves.

The Hammers took the lead from the spot on 15 minutes. Brewer keeper Jordan North saved the first effort but was unable to stop the rebound.

Marcus Jarvis equalised midway through the first half and latched on to a flicked on long throw to score the winner from close range with 15 minutes to play.

Super sub Olly Wilson came off the bench with five minutes to go and scored twice to give North Molton Thirds a 2-0 win against Chittlehampton Reserves.

In the day’s other result, Bratton Fleming Reserves beat Fremington Reserves 4-2.


Torridgeside and Barnstaple FC’s massive 22-0 wins are thought to be the biggest recorded in the North Devon League for many years but are they the biggest?

Contact the Gazette sports desk on (01271) 341629 if you know of any higher scoring games that have taken place over the years.