Fremington lay in to weakened Wooly

Joseph Bulmer

Leaders take no prisoners with 8-0 win

FREMINGTON were in no mood to mess around as they mauled a weakened Woolacombe and Mortehoe side 8-0 on Saturday.

The Intermediate One leaders were 2-0 up inside two minutes and made it nine wins from 11 with four goals in each half of the match at Frembley.

Andy King did the most damage with five goals and there was a brace for strike partner Wayne Parkhouse. There was even a rare place on the score sheet for holding midfielder Paul Parkin.

Second-placed Merton put three past Woolsery Reserves and Northside Atlantic applied some pressure on the leaders with an 8-0 win of their own.

Strikers Vinny Bott and Carl Armstrong scored four each as visitors Putford Reserves were totally outplayed at Victoria Park, Bott weighing in with his 100th goal for Atlantic.

On Sunday, Northside left it late in their Hansen Cup game at Bradworthy Reserves. Damian Shaddick scored the game’s only goal three minutes from time.

Northam Lions Reserves are enjoying renewed success under new manager Ben Davey. The Lions followed up last week’s hard-fought 1-1 draw with Merton to beat Ilfracombe Town Thirds 4-3 on Saturday.

Northam took a 4-2 half-time lead with goals by Dave Keene (2), Jack Lisle and Craig Russell in a lively match of football at Burrough Farm.

Damon Reed, Sam Gater and Steve Burns were on target for Ilfracombe.

Sporting Barum turned the tables on Barnstaple rivals Equalizers with a 3-1 win at Rock Park. Barum, who started the day nine places below their opponents in the table, earned all three points thanks to goals by Richard Nott (2) and Kyle Spear. Tony Philpotts scored for Equalizers.

There was a good win too for Braunton Thirds, who avenged earlier defeats against the same teams for the second time in successive weeks on Saturday.

After last week’s win against Woolacombe, this week it was pay back time for Clovelly, who won 5-1 in the first game of the season back in August.

Steve Penrose and Connor Stapley scored for Braunton in the 2-0 reverse.

Manager Colin Baddick said his side had been missing a few players but was now near enough back to full strength.

In other matches, there were away wins for Hartland and AFC Anchor, Hartland winning 3-1 at High Bickington and Anchor overcoming Landkey Town 4-1.