Firewatch cup classic goes off with a bang

Joseph Bulmer

Bideford though after remarkable 14-goal rollercoaster in Exeter

BIDEFORD Reserves are through to the last 16 of the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup following a remarkable 8-6 win in Exeter.

Unbeaten in all competitions this season, the Robins found themselves staring down the barrel of a humiliating whitewash just seven minutes into the third round tie against Dolphin FC.

The Fresha Devon and Exeter Division Four side stomped their early authority on the game with goals in the first, fifth and seventh minute.

But while many of their own opponents this season have crumbled under such early firepower, Bideford fought back to level the scores with a little under half-an-hour played.

Sam Grimley pulled the first back on 17 minutes and Sam Stephens scored twice – including one from the spot – as the visitors restored parity in scintillating style.

And things improved further before half-time, Joe Grimley and Nathan Bate giving Bideford a 5-3 lead.

Dolphin pulled one back after the break but Bideford traded blow for blow in an equally crazy second 45 that produced a further six goals.

Bate and Ben Ford both scored as the Robins ensured they stayed one step ahead of their opponents.

Stephens scored his hat-trick and finally put the game to bed with the game’s final goal in injury time to set up a fourth round trip to Feniton on December 3.

Devon & Exeter Division One side Feniton beat Woolsery 7-6 on penalties. Woolsery were losing 2-0 with eight minutes to play but a triple substitution produced two late goals and forced extra-time.

Kevin Glover’s side went 3-2 up in the first half of the extra period but had to settle for a shoot-out when Keiran Johnston pounced on a loose ball with five minutes to go.

The only other North Devon side to make it through to the next round are Wrey Arms, who made light work of South Devon League Division One side Waldon Athletic, running out 4-1 winners at the Tarka Tennis Centre.

Mark Turner scored the first on 20 minutes before Adam Sobey doubled the lead with a free-kick 10 minutes later.

Simon Larcombe made it 3-0 after the break before Jimmy Hill capped an outstanding performance with the Wrey’s fourth. The visitors scored a late consolation with two minutes to play.

Wrey Arms will play Okehampton Argyle at home in the next round.

The Graddon Vending Devon Premier Cup has been an unhappy hunting ground for North Devon sides this season. And all the region’s remaining teams were put out of their misery with defeats on Saturday.

Bratton Fleming were hammered 10-0 by cup holders Liverton United. Bratton could have taken the lead early but once behind the quality of the hosts was obvious.

Manager Eddie Cameron said the score line would have been far worse but for some stalwart defending.

Newton Abbot Spurs were too strong for Braunton at Lobb Field. The South West Peninsula Division One (East) side scored one in the first half and two in the second to make it into Monday’s draw.

George Folland scored for Dolton in a 2-1 defeat at Buckland Athletic. The scores were 1-1 at the break but the hosts snatched victory with a goal in the last five minutes.

In the Intermediate Cup North Area semi-finals, Fremington will travel to Ashwater, while Barnstaple FC face a tricky home tie against Chulmleigh.

Barnstaple beat Northside Atlantic 3-1 in Saturday’s third round tie at Victoria Park, while Chulmleigh beat Clovelly 3-0. Fremington needed extra time to finally see off Merton 7-3. The game finished 3-3 after 90 minutes, Phil May, Lee Chapple and Wayne Parkhouse the goal scorers in normal time.

In the extra period Fremmy found the net four times through Matt Ford (2), Josh Hooper and Darren Vaughan to safely see them into the fourth round draw.

Ashwater beat Torridgeside 5-3.