Fire chiefs praise neighbours for raising alarm
A MAN was rescued from his flat in Pynes Lane, Bideford, on Wednesday night after firefighters were called to the property by concerned neighbours who could hear a fire alarm sounding, but were unable to contact the occupier.
Two fire crews from Bideford fire station attended the incident just after 10.30pm.
Firefighters made forced entry into the smoke-filled flat and assisted the resident, who was uninjured, out into fresh air.
They then re-entered the flat with a hose reel and wearing breathing apparatus, to deal with a small fire in the kitchen, which is believed to have been caused by food left on an unattended grill.
Smoke was cleared from the flat using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Watch Commander Dave Slade praised the actions of the neighbours in alerting the fire service and said the presence of working smoke alarms in the property clearly helped to avert a more serious incident.
North Devon Gazette Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.