THE fire and rescue service has warned households to keep combustible materials away from heating sources following a call to a flat in a Barnstaple sheltered housing development at midday today (Wednesday).
Clothes next to a wall heater are believed to have been the cause of the outbreak in Water Lane, Newport.
A spokesman from Barnstaple fire station said there was a small fire involving smouldering clothes. This had produced a significant amount of smoke, which was noticed by the warden of the development.
Two fire appliances from Barnstaple attended the scene and used
breathing apparatus, a hose reel and ventilation equipment.
The outbreak was in the ground floor bedroom of the two storey building.
North Devon Gazette Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.