Bideford’s new management duo sees double

Joseph Bulmer

Stephens and Rees start new shift for the Robins with a 10-2 win

BIDEFORD Reserves responded to a change in manager with double figures against Northam Lions Reserves.

Players Sam Stephens and James Rees have taken over from Chris Smales, who has stepped down to concentrate on his role with the youth team.

And the new duo charged with masterminding Bideford Reserves’ swift return to the top flight both had a hand in Saturday’s 10-2 rout.

The Robins are averaging six goals a game in the league this season and the North Devon Gazette Senior Division leaders wasted little time in getting started on Saturday.

Rees scored two – the first on 11 minutes – and Jake Shambrook scored one as Bideford cruised into a 3-1 half-time lead.

Man-of-the-match Shambrook added a second in a rip-roaring second half. Joe Grimley (2), Nathan Bate, Sam Grimley, Ben Ford and Rikki Williams were also on target as the Robins found the net for fun.

Alex Charlton and Tom Griffin scored the consolation goals for the Lions.

Writing on the club’s fan forum, Stephens said: “We are hoping not a lot is going to change so we can keep the momentum going and get Biddy back to the prem.”

Park United regained second place in the table with a 5-3 win at home to Lynton & Lynmouth.

Dave Brown and Steve Skinner both scored two each for Park, who also found the net through Mark Hill.

Luke Dyer (2) and Martin Phillips scored for Lynton, whose day started badly with a hamstring injury for Richard Peacock in the warm-up. Things showed little sign of improving when Tommy Mirow was taken to hospital with a dislocated shoulder and the bad luck continued when George Miller conceded an unfortunate penalty and was booked for handball in the process.

Shamwickshire Rovers Reserves put in what manager Nathan England described their best performance of the season with a 5-1 win against Chittlehampton.

Ross Glover lobbed the goalkeeper from the halfway line and there was a goal for Kirk Lee on his return. Jack Thompson, Jesse Curtis and Phil Kemp also scored for Shammy.

Marc Churchill scored one and set up the other in Wrey Arms’ 2-1 win at South Molton.

Churchill, who has reverted from centre-half to his former role up front in recent weeks, crossed to Adam Sobey, who volleyed into the net from 30 yards with 30 minutes played.

Churchill then beat the goalkeeper with a one-one-one to finish at the near post as Wrey took a 2-0 lead into the break.

Player-manager Rob Reed pulled one back for the Images from the penalty spot 10 minutes into the second half and Reed finished the match between the sticks after an injury to the South Molton keeper.

North Molton Reserves recovered a 3-0 half-time deficit to draw 3-3 at home to Bude Town. Rupert Smith scored twice and Finn Hutchinson scored one in the Stags’ spirited second-half comeback.

In the day’s other result, Woolsery beat Barnstaple AAC Reserves 7-0.