A premises at Queen Street in Barnstaple was evacuated on Thursday afternoon after a first floor fridge began leaking what was thought to be ammonia gas.
When two Barnstaple fire engines arrived at around 5.20pm, four fire fighters donned breathing apparatus and protective clothing before entering the building and removing the fridge, which was giving off fumes.
An environmental pack was also used to deal with the incident.
North Devon Gazette Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.