Ammies find that winning feeling

Joseph Bulmer

Barnstaple side end miserable run with Ilfracombe win

BARNSTAPLE AAC picked up their first three points since September with a 3-1 win at home to Ilfracombe Town Reserves on Saturday.

The Ammies made a bright start to the North Devon Gazette League Premier Division campaign but have suffered a miserable run of set-backs since the 10-2 whipping of the same opponents.

Gary King opened the scoring with a header from a corner, while the second came courtesy of what Ammies manager Royston Shaddick described “the best own goal you’ll ever see”.

“Their player attempted to head a free-kick clear, took the ball down on his chest, kneed it and then volleyed it into the net – it was a cracker,” said Shaddick.

Dan Found scored the third to make it 3-0 before ‘Combe rounded off the scoring before the half-time break to make it 3-1.

Torridgeside’s Ian Cockwill scored a goal fit to win any football match in the game at Bradworthy.

Cockwill hit a thunderous top corner shot from outside the box to give his side a 2-1 lead with five minutes to play on a very heavy North Road pitch.

Jay Sullivan had given Torrie the lead before the unfortunate Paul Boundy converted into his own net.

And just as Cockwill looked like he’d bagged all three points defender Josh Phillips headed a long ball over his own keeper to level the scores at 2-2.

“I’d have taken a point before the game put we battered them on an atrocious pitch in the second half and it was a game we really should have won,” said manager Barry Paine.

The two sides meet again this weekend at Donnacroft.

Elliot Whitecross drilled home the winner from the edge of the box to give Braunton a 2-1 win at home to Dolton.

Before that, Rangers captain Simon Ward had put through his own net to open the scoring before experienced poacher Dan Stubbings rescued his skipper with the equaliser.

“In fairness Braunton were the better side and deserved the win,” said Dolton manager Neil Batty.

“They could have been 3-0 up at half time but we defended well and we were full of energy.”

Braunton manager Mark Harris praised referee Nigel Cockwell for putting in a “superb” shift as the match official.

In the division’s other game, Appledore Reserves scored just 30 seconds into the game at Combe Martin.

A well-timed pass by Tony Lines sent Andros Stavrinou on his way to equalise in a one-on-one with the keeper on 25 minutes.

An entertaining second half produced chances for both sides but Combe keeper Tom Hook made some fine saves before being beaten with 20 minutes to go.

The hosts had a goal disallowed two minutes later but after a goalmouth scramble, Joe Seldon earned his side a share of the points with five minutes to play.