Don't miss a story sign up to the North Devon Gazette's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Youth centres under threat as county council cuts continue

14:09 07 February 2014

Youngsters from 'Georgies' are holding a gig to protest cuts which could put the future of North Devon's youth centres in doubt

Youngsters from 'Georgies' are holding a gig to protest cuts which could put the future of North Devon's youth centres in doubt

Archant

DCC opens public consultation on ‘fundamental remodelling’ of youth service delivery

THE future of North Devon’s youth centres looks uncertain as Devon County Council looks to slash £110million from its spending by 2017.

114 jobs could be at risk as the council launches a public consultation on fundamentally remodelling the current ‘universal’ youth service to create a more targeted approached aimed at early help and prevention – meaning North Devon’s nine youth centres would no longer be managed by the county council.

The youth service currently costs £3.7million a year and employs 114 full-time-equivalent staff.

Youngsters from ‘Georgies’ youth centre in Barnstaple had already announced that they would be holding a gig on February 19 to protest prospective cuts, while Torridge and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox hailed Bideford Youth Centre as an ‘essential service’ when he visited in October.

Community and voluntary groups or others with an interest are invited to suggest alternative models or express an interest in taking over any of the council’s 34 youth centres as part of the 12 week consultation, which started on February 3.

The county council has to cut its services spending by £110million by 2017 and has consistently warned that all services would come under the spotlight.

It is not required by law to provide a youth service, though DCC has said it is ‘keen to find alternative delivery partners to secure a sustainable future’.

Devon’s Cabinet Member with responsibility for the youth service, Will Mumford, said: “These proposals envisage a significant shift from open access, universal facilities to targeted support for those most in need.

“We will be particularly keen to work with local communities during the consultation to develop a new ‘offer’ for young people for which the county council might be able to provide some initial support.

“We would also be happy to discuss with our staff the possibility of forming a staff mutual or social enterprise to take on local youth provision.

“Of the 90,000 young people aged 13-19 across the county around 10,000 young people a year use the current youth service. But it is clear that it is just one element of a tapestry of excellent clubs and services around the county that are already provided by numerous community and voluntary groups. We want to harness that capacity and expertise to help develop a sustainable model for the future.”

The overall budget for social care for children and adults will be cut by £4million to £315million in 2014/15, though there will be an increase in spending on services for the most vulnerable, such as children at risk and rising demand from a growing elderly population.

Draft proposals would see the current youth service budget reduced by £740,000 in 2014/15 and by £927,000 in 2015/16.

The public consultation closes on April 27.

0 comments

Other News Stories

09:39

Total bill will rise by 4.4 per cent in 2017/18

Read more
10:33

Jason Massos is running the Brighton Marathon for Care for Kids North Devon

Read more
09:51

Photographed something special? Send it to our newsroom via our relaunched image sharing website

Read more

Colorseum in Bideford is supporting cancer patients with a new line of treatments, as well as offering free head shaves and donating to local charity, ChemoHero.

Read more
Yesterday, 19:00

‘Don’t leave valuables on display in unattended cars’ police warn North Devon motorists after spate of thefts

Read more
Yesterday, 17:13

Two men are being dealt with by police following a drugs raid at Mullacott Industrial Estate

Read more
Yesterday, 17:01

Ilfracombe and Combe Martin crews attend mini digger blaze

Read more
Yesterday, 14:28

Free parking, hot drinks and barbecue if you go along to the Big Saunton Beach Clean this Sunday (February 26)

Read more
Yesterday, 10:30

Peter Heaton-Jones and Geoffrey Cox have told Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt that a loss of services in North Devon would be ‘unacceptable’.

Read more
Wed, 14:45

Jessie Prentice - who was featured in the Gazette on her birthday last month - has died at the age of 104 in Westward Ho!

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 7°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

North Devon's trusted business finder

Find planning applications