Updated: Flood warnings downgraded in North Devon
PUBLISHED: 15:58 03 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:46 03 January 2014
Flooding is still expected at high tide but is no longer a ‘danger to life’, says Environment Agency.
SEVERE flood warnings in place across North Devon today (Fri) have been downgraded by the Environment Agency.
The region was covered by the ‘danger to life’ warnings for the first time since 2008 last night and this morning.
But after flooding in many coastal towns and villages, the Environment Agency has changed the area to be under a ‘flood warning’ tonight.
Others warnings have been downgraded to a low level ‘flood alert’ and some have been removed altogether.
The warnings still mean flooding is expected but a spokesman for the EA said the peak of the spring tides and tidal surge had passed.
“However tides will remain high and further flood warnings and a widespread flood alert is being issued to cover Friday evening and Saturday morning tides,” he said.
“Members of the public should continue to avoid areas where there are large waves.
“The Environment Agency will continue to work to check flood defences and close tidal gates to protect communities.”
People are reminded to avoid coastal footpaths and promenades, not to drive through floodwater, and to remain vigilant.
High tide for Bideford is predicted at 7.20pm tonight (Fri) and at 7.43am on Saturday – Barnstaple will be around 20 minutes after this.
Many roads in North Devon are still closed and public transport has been disrupted, keep up to date with the latest information by clicking here.
Flood warnings with expected flooding are in place for the following areas:
• North Devon Coastal Communities: Low lying and exposed parts of communities including Clovelly, Westward Ho!, Watermouth Cove, Combe Martin and Lynmouth.
• Tidal River Torridge: From Weare Giffard to Bideford including Weare Giffard, Bideford East-the-Water, Wooder Wharf and Northam.
Flood alerts with possible flooding are in place for the following areas:
• North Devon Coast: Coastal and tidal areas from Hartland Point to Lynmouth, including the Taw and Torridge Estuary.
Warnings no longer in force for the following areas:
• Tidal River Taw from Bishops Tawton to Barnstaple
• Instow, Appledore, Fremington, Muddlebridge, Braunton Marsh, Velator, Wrafton, Chivenor and Yelland
• Low lying areas of Ilfracombe including Cheyne Beach, the Quay, the Strand and Broad Street