Friday, March 22, 2013
Police are investigating two suspicious fires in the Holsworthy area and suggest the two could be linked.
A 20-YEAR-OLD man has been released on bail following two suspicious fires in the Holsworthy area last week.
At 7.35pm on Wednesday evening, five fire engines spent hours tackling a blaze in Quarry Park, Chilsworthy, involving two sheds and a two-storey house.
A man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, and fire fighters used four hose reel jets and a main jet to extinguish the blaze.
At 5am on Thursday, in a separate incident, two fire engines were called to reports of a fire which left a caravan and two cars severely damaged in Chapel Street, Holsworthy.
The fire also caused 25 per cent heat and fire damage to the outside of five flats.
Detective Inspector Praveen Naidoo, of Barnstaple CID, said officers were treating the two fires as arson attacks and looking into the possibility they could be linked.
He said: “We are treating both fires as suspicious and considering the possibility that they are linked.
“We want to reassure people these fires are exceptionally unusual; this is usually a very safe part of the country.”
The arrested man was arrested on suspicion of arson and will return to Barnstaple Police Station in May.
Anyone with any information about either of the fires, or who is responsible, is urged to come forward by calling the police on non-emergency number 101, or calling CrimeStoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting police reference CH/13/145.
You can also report any information online at www.Crimstoppers-uk.org.