Update: Fire crews tackle barn blaze near Instow

17:33 18 July 2013

Firefighters are currently tackling a barn fire on the back roads near Instow. Pic by Andy Casey

Firefighters are currently tackling a barn fire on the back roads near Instow. Pic by Andy Casey

Andy Casey Photography

Witnesses on the A39 report plumes of black smoke coming from the farm building.

Firefighters are currently tackling a barn fire on the back roads near Instow. Pic by Andy Casey Firefighters are currently tackling a barn fire on the back roads near Instow. Pic by Andy Casey

A FARM building near Bideford was completely destroyed by fire yesterday afternoon (Thursday).

The contents of the wooden workshop were also severely damaged during the blaze at Beacon Farm, on the back roads at Instow.

A number of witnesses travelling along the A39 called to report plumes of black smoke coming from the building at around 4.30pm.

The first Bideford firefighters on scene battled to save a second barn from catching fire but were beaten back by exploding gas cylinders and diesel tanks.

Back-up was called for, and at the height of the blaze, around 26 firefighters from Bideford, Barnstaple, Appledore and Ilfracombe fought flames in desperately dry conditions.

Watch manager Neil Hole said: “There were explosions as we turned up and it made fire fighting very difficult as we had to work from a safe blast zone.

“We managed to cool the cylinders and although the fire spread to the second barn, we were able to save it, albeit with some slight damage to one side.

“Due to the extreme heat, crews worked very hard to bring the fire under control but it was not an easy job and due to the dry conditions, sparks threatened to set alight a nearby dung heap, as well as an adjacent field.”

Firefighters remained on the scene until midnight.

Mr Hole said the fire was thought to have been caused by a spark from an angle grinder or from an angle grinder that was left unattended after being used.

He said: “We would like to remind people that if they are using machinery in this weather be careful where you are using it.

“Fire can spread so quickly because it’s been so dry. If the heatwave continues, it’s going to get a lot worse.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

Work on Barnstaple's new TK Maxx store is continuing to progress. Picture: Andy Keeble

TK Maxx has announced that its new shop in Barnstaple will create 35 jobs.

Read more
09:37
Labour candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann

In the latest of our series of profiles, we meet Labour’s candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann

Read more
The dolphin washed up on Putsborough beach. Picture: Amanda Baldwin.

Dead dolphin found washed up on North Devon beach yesterday (Wednesday).

Read more
Marlene May with her new book. Picture: Sarah Howells

Marlene May, 77, is selling her new book at charity shop where she has worked for 18 years.

Read more
07:00
The Trumpton bonfire in Torrington is coming together.

Torrington Cavaliers get set for giant charity bonfire in August.

Read more
Yesterday, 16:09
Dave Garrett and Mark Edwards getting ready for the 100 mile challenge.

Bideford man prepared for epic 36-hour non-stop walk in aid of the Chemotherapy Appeal.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 6°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition today E-edition



North Devon's trusted business finder