Don't miss a story sign up to the North Devon Gazette's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Tea towels could spontaneously combust, warn Devon firefighters

PUBLISHED: 16:22 18 May 2017 | UPDATED: 17:12 18 May 2017

Tea towels can spontaneously combust – and it’s more common than you might think.

Tea towels can spontaneously combust – and it’s more common than you might think.

Archant

‘Strange phenomenon’ highlighted following rugby club fire

Fire chiefs have warned that oil residues left on tea towels could cause them to spontaneously combust.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning to catering premises following a fire at Exeter Chiefs’ Sandy Park stadium.

The service says spontaneous combustion of tea towels can occur when organic oil residue remains in the material after washing, and they are then folded and stored in piles while still hot from the tumble drier.

Watch manager Gareth Sydenham said: “It may sound like a strange phenomenon but is actually more common than you might think. Cotton laundry can often be contaminated with organic cooking oils that can self-ignite if dried and stored.”

The service says residue of grease or oil – particularly from vegetable and animal based fats – still present in linen can start a fire.

The problem arises when the wash cycle has not been hot enough to remove the residue.

If laundry is then heated in a tumble dryer it can ignite spontaneously a period of time after the drying process has finished.

Watch manager Sydenham added: “Make sure you do your wash at the right temperature, usually above 90 degrees celsius, with the appropriate detergent to remove any oil-based contaminants.

“Also make sure you wait for your laundry to cool down before packing it away and store it in a well ventilated place.”

The service is also giving the following advice to businesses:

• Run the full cool-down cycle of the dryer

• Do not place laundry into large stacks or piles

• Do not leave damp items in a warm or hot dryer

• Clean filters, remove fluff, lint and debris from dryers and keep them regularly maintained

In addition, ensure an adequate and well maintained fire detection system is in place.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News Stories

18:33

A Barnstaple A road has been blocked after a crash involving two vehicles.

Read more
17:21

Bratton Fleming Village Stores is settling into its new home thanks to a huge effort from the community.

Read more

South Molton Rugby Club has handed over more than £4,000 to the charity MIND in memory of their former team-mate.

Read more
14:57

Will you be buying a EuroMillions ticket for tomorrow night’s draw? If so, you could be in with a chance at a £141million jackpot.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:19

Barnstaple photographer Tristan Clarkson highlights the beautiful side of Barnstaple with his camera - see more of his photos here.

Read more
Saturday, February 17, 2018

Big sound soul band Soul Intention will be performing to raise money for the hospital charity’s Cancer and Wellbeing Centre Appeal on Saturday, February 24.

Read more
Saturday, February 17, 2018

People across North Devon felt the earth move today (Saturday) after an earth tremor hit the UK.

Read more
Saturday, February 17, 2018

An earthquake has been felt by people in Devon this afternoon.

Read more
Saturday, February 17, 2018

Check out this week’s gallery of photos sent in by Gazette readers through our image-sharing website iwitness24.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 7°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

North Devon's trusted business finder

Find planning applications