Spider rescued by fire fighters

Friday, December 13, 2013
6:33 PM

Close encounter of the eight-legged kind after fire crews tackle a blaze at South Molton.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

A pet spider and a cat were rescued by fire crews from a blaze at South Molton this afternoon (Friday).

Fire engines from South Molton, Barnstaple and Lynton were called out around noon to a two storey house at West Yarde after a fire broke out in a double garage at the property.

The garage was well alight and flames had spread into the floorboards of the main house above, forcing fire fighters to strip away the garage roof.

Crews wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to tackle the fire and to cool a nearby gas storage container.

Everyone inside the house escaped unharmed, including the family’s pet cat and spider, thought to be a tarantula, which fire fighters rescued from the property.

The fire service was able to leave the scene after three hours, at 3.36pm, but said crews would return later today to check for hot spots.

* Was this your home? We’d like to hear from you about the frightening incident and how everyone was able to make it to safety. Contact our news team by emailing newsdesk@northdevongazette.co.uk or telephone 01271 345056.

0 comments

Join our newsletter

Local Search 24 – North Devon
Looking for a:

Location:

Search radius:

North Devon's trusted business directory