PICTURE: Fire fighters tackle Ashford fire ‘started by cigarette thrown from car’
PUBLISHED: 17:44 11 July 2013 | UPDATED: 17:56 11 July 2013
Devon and Somerset fire service issue advice to prevent fires in the hot weather
Devon and Somerset fire service is warning people to be wary of the risk of wildfires and gorse fires following the recent spell of hot weather.
Fire fighters were called to a roadside fire in Ashford, near Braunton, this afternoon (Thursday), thought to have been started by a cigarette thrown from a passing car.
A crew from Barnstaple was called to deal with the incident opposite the Trelawney garden centre on the A361.
The fire service is encouraging people to be vigilant in rural areas and:
• Extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly; never throw cigarette ends out of car windows.
• Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands – sunlight shining through glass can start fires; take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.
• Avoid using open fires in the countryside.
• If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately.
• Don’t attempt to tackle fires that can’t be put out with a bucket of water – leave the area as quickly as possible.