May 24 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Braunton man is searching for witnesses to the incident after the lorry driver fled the scene.
A BRAUNTON man was shocked to come home from work to find his garden wall had been completely demolished by a lorry last Monday morning.
Pete Osment, who lives in South Street opposite the entrance to Caen Street car park, was told by witnesses the vehicle had tried to turn around in the road at around 8am and reversed into his wall.
As the vehicle pulled away, the railings became caught and completely demolished the brick wall and metal railings, said Mr Osment.
Witnesses told him the lorry driver then piled the rubble back onto his front yard before driving off, causing a build up of traffic in the area.
When he discovered the damage, Mr Osment reported it to the police but they were unable to help as he didn’t have a registration.
He said: “I’m a bit disappointed really. There must have been companies in the area expecting deliveries at the time.
“I thought the least they could do was send a police constable around to look at the damage.”
As a last resort to try and identify the culprit, Mr Osment put up a sign asking if anyone had seen anything.
“I’ve had a couple of people come to me with information and I’m told it was a white seven-and-a-half-tonne rigid curtain-sided lorry, possibly either a glazing or carpet company.”
Mr Osment is urging anyone who witnessed the incident in South Street on Monday, February 25, between 7.30am and 8.30am, to come forward.
Anyone with any information can call Mr Osment on 07798 722997 or contact Gazette reporter Sarah Howells on 01271 341658 or email@example.com.