PHOTOS: Fire at busy Torrington pub
PUBLISHED: 13:11 28 March 2014 | UPDATED: 14:31 28 March 2014
Around 30 people evacuated after chimney catches fire.
A BUSY Torrington pub was evacuated following a chimney fire last night (Thursday).
Around 30 people were led to safety after flames and embers shot from the fireplace and chimney at The Cavalier Inn, in Well Street.
Landlord Justin Matthews said firefighters were alerted shortly before 8pm.
“It was pool night so there were about 30 people in the pub at the time,” said Mr Matthews, who has run the pub for the last eight years.
“There were some people eating in the dining room but luckily they had just finished eating as we began evacuating the pub.”
Fire crews from Torrington and Bideford had to make a hole in the chimney through a loft space to prevent the spread of flames.
They left the scene at around 10.30pm but returned later to check for ‘hotspots’.
Mr Matthews said the blaze had caused ‘extensive’ damage to the chimney but the pub was still open for business as usual.
He thanked staff and customers for their speedy evacuation of the pub.