Plans for new homes in Shebbear are approved
PUBLISHED: 09:09 02 February 2018 | UPDATED: 11:04 02 February 2018
Proposals for eight new houses in Shebbear have been approved, despite concerns the site was ‘too isolated’ from the village centre.
Plans for eight new homes have been approved in Shebbear, despite concerns over their ‘isolated’ countryside location.
Richard Haste, who submitted the application to Torridge District Council, told the plans committee on Thursday his family wanted to invest in the village.
He said: “We’re a family who have lived in Shebbear for over 100 years and this application is so we’ll be able to secure the fourth generation to stay in the village.”
The committee heard earlier highways concerns had been withdrawn by Devon County Council.
But there was still some disagreement over the isolation of the buildings.
Some councillors said they felt it was too far outside of the village, while others argued the site was close to nearby houses, a pub and working garage.
In the end, councillors went against planning officers’ recommendations and approved the plans by a majority of two votes.