More construction chaos feared for Ilfracombe
PUBLISHED: 20:31 28 July 2014 | UPDATED: 20:33 28 July 2014
Shocked council told the Environment Agency plans a second bout of sea defence work at the harbour from next week – after already announcing Cheyne car park will close during the busiest part of the season.
THE Environment Agency plans to carry out more repair work at Ilfracombe harbour during the busy summer season, North Devon Council has said.
The council has been told today (Monday) by the Environment Agency it intends to carry out repairs to the sea wall along Quay Road and around to the slipway, starting on Monday (August 4).
This is in addition to a notice served last week, when the agency announced plans to close Cheyne Beach car park next week for flood defence works to be carried out.
The council’s chief executive, Mike Mansell, said major construction work was already taking place in the harbour until September.
“If these proposed works have any impact on the remaining moorings along the face of the quay road, the harbour facility will be severely compromised and we must urge the EA to revisit the timing of these works,” he said.
The Environment Agency has indicated to the council it will aim to complete repairs by September 15.
The council said although it was fully supportive of the work, the timing was inappropriate and it would continue to press for a mid-September start date.