November 28 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Enter the North Devon K9 Heroes awards and snaffle some top pooch-related prizes for you and your pet.
TOP dogs are invited to enter the all new North Devon K9 Heroes awards brought to you by rescue charity K9 Focus and the North Devon Gazette.
The entries are already scampering in, with working dogs, life-savers, rescue dogs come good or those that are just plain great in the eyes of their owners all welcome to apply.
There are some great prizes for the winners too, with a top prize of two nights at dog friendly four star accommodation anywhere in the UK.
There are four categories:
* Pawsome Company - For any dog providing companionship.
* Working Hero - For any working dogs, be it in agriculture, security, services or military.
* Rescue to Hero – For any rescued or rehomed dog that has gone on to prove itself heroically and show bravery, in whatever way that might be.
* Just Because - A category for any dog, just because you love them.
The competition is being sponsored by Market Veterinary Centre, and Forthglade Foods in Winkleigh. There is Entry is free micro-chipping available for all entries too.
It is completely free to enter, but K9 Focus relies solely on public help to keep going and anyone wishing to make a donation when they enter the competition is invited to visit the K9 Focus website below.
The charity was set up by Lynne and Nick Hall from Torrington to rescue and rehome abused and abandoned dogs, made possible through the support of dedicated volunteers.
“It is run entirely by volunteers who give their time freely and without whom the rescue charity could not exist,” said Lynne.
“It also means that 100 per cent of funds raised actually go to helping dogs. We are always on the lookout for more volunteers who can help fund raise. The true focus, pardon the pun, of the rescue is the bringing of people and animals together.”
Rescue dog shows, collecting at numerous events and entering Barnstaple Carnival – where they won all three trophies in their section – has all been in a day’s work for K9 Focus volunteers during the past year.
But it has been worth it - during 2012-13 it managed to rehome 99 dogs, many of which would otherwise have been put to sleep.
The charity is also keen to raise awareness of issues such as puppy farming and lack of neutering that add to the stray dog problem – in September Lynne was invited to a Special Committee Meeting at The Houses of Parliament to discuss the current stray dog crisis in the UK.
* To nominate a dog for the North Devon K9 Heroes awards, send their story and a picture, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: K9 Heroes, C/O North Devon Gazette, Unit 3, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, EX32 8PB by February 5. Please include your name, address and contact telephone number. We can only accept entries for dogs from within the North Devon area. The judges’ decision is final.
See the many dogs needing new homes, find out more about the charity or make a donation at www.k9focus.co.uk