Jenson’s close to fundraising total
10:30 20 March 2014
Youngster has been accepted for life-changing SDR surgery in America and is just £2,000 off fundraising total.
A BIDEFORD couple are just two thousand pounds from their fundraising total to send their three-year-old son for life-changing surgery in America.
In August last year the Gazette reported how Jenson Tucker, who has cerebral palsy, could be able to walk for the first time if his family could fundraise £65,000 to send him to America to undergo selective dorsal rhizotomy (SDR) surgery.
Since then his parents Carly and Joel Tucker have discovered Jenson, who attends East-the-Water preschool, has been accepted for the surgery.
And the couple announced yesterday (Wednesday), after the Gazette went to press, Jenson will be having his operation on June 26, 2014.
Carly and Joel, with held from Carly’s parents Anna and Buster Jones, have been fundraising tirelessly and their total now stands at just over £62,800.
The procedure at St Louis Children’s Hospital in Missouri would involve cutting away the ‘dead’ nerve endings to reduce the spasticity in Jenson’s legs and could enable the youngster to sit and stand on his own for the first time.
“We have just been completely humbled by how many people have stepped up to help and donate,” said Anna.
“One lady donated £6,500 – she said her and her husband had always wanted to help a local child and after her husband passed away she knew Jenson was the right one.
“There’s a 19-year-old called Edward Spencer who is running five marathons in five days, so many people have been doing things to help us reach our total.”
A number of fundraising events are still being held to help push the fundraising to its £65,000 total – and beyond.
“Any extra money we raise will all go towards helping Jenson after his operation and buying him specialist equipment and physiotherapy,” explained Buster.
n For more information on Jenson or to donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/jensonspage.