Thursday, July 31, 2014
Council decision overturned during appeal hearing.
A GOVERNMENT planning inspector has overturned a decision to refuse plans for 95 new homes in Chulmleigh.
North Devon Council planners rejected proposals for the development off Leigh Road in November last year due to the location, scale and ‘unsympathetic’ impact on the character of the area.
But outline permission has now been granted following a three-day appeal heard in the town in June.
Some in Chulmleigh claimed it was ‘too much, too soon’ for the town.
District councillor Sue Croft said housing increase should be phased over the next 15 years, but inspector Richard McCoy said the proposal would help meet an acknowledged shortfall in housing land supply and bring improvements that would benefit the wider community.
Mr McCoy said the adverse impacts the development ‘would not significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits’.
Pending full planning permission, developer Devonshire Homes said it hoped to start construction in spring 2015 with the first properties available by the end of the year.
The scheme will provide a mix of one-to-four bedroom homes on the three-hectare site, with vehicle access into Leigh Road and pedestrian access via Ladywell Lane.
Steve Russell, managing director at Devonshire Homes, said: “There’s a pressing need for good quality new homes in North Devon, and we will ensure the build fits with the character of Chulmleigh and provides the infrastructure we have proposed that is necessary in such a location.
“This development provides a good mix of properties and includes open market homes alongside affordable housing to meet the needs of the local community.”