November 27 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Planning inspector approves contested plans for Buckleigh Road.
A GOVERNMENT planning inspector has given the go-ahead for 132 new homes overlooking Westward Ho!
Plans for the development in Buckleigh Road had been met with opposition by local residents and Torridge District Council, which reluctantly withdrew its defence of the appeal on the first day of a hearing last month.
Developer Simon Cater referred the decision to the Planning Inspectorate in March last year after the council was unable to determine an initial application in the time allowed.
The authority rejected an identical set of plans in January this year but later decided its reasons given for refusing the application were not defendable.
Inspector John Woolcock said despite ‘considerable local opposition’, this was not a ground for refusing or granting planning permission.
He said: “The appeal scheme would make a significant contribution to boosting the supply of housing in the district. The affordable housing provision would be particularly beneficial.
“The change from agricultural land to built development would adversely affect some views. However, matters of design, impact on the local landscape, and the accessibility of services/facilities, do not in this case result in adverse impacts that would be sufficient to significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits of the proposal.”
Under the terms of the agreement, 40 per cent (53 houses) must be ‘affordable’. The plans also include two shops and a sports area.