Former Gazette offices up for sale in Bideford
09:34 27 May 2014
Building in Grenville Street is a piece of Bideford’s history.
THE former offices of the North Devon Gazette have been put up for sale in Bideford.
The paper, known then as the Bideford Gazette, first appeared on January 1, 1856, under the title of The Devon and East Cornwall Gazette and Commercial Advertiser.
It was based at number six Grenville Street, which currently stands vacant but most recently was home to the A Touch of Class frame shop.
The framing shop has recently relocated to new premises at 1 Cooper Street.
The Gazette’s first printer was Thomas Honey, a 26-year-old bookseller, with the first papers carrying just 10 adverts on a large double sheet folded in two.
The paper officially became the Bideford Gazette in 1856 and was run by Thomas until his death that year, when it was taken over by his wife Eliza.
The building, offered as a freehold investment with a ground floor shop and three flats above it, has featured in numerous books about Bideford.
The freehold also includes an undeveloped studio space, three one-bedroom flats and an attached building which was former the print works for the Gazette.
For more information, or to arrange an appointment to view the premises, contact the sole agent Dominic Rosenbaum at John Smale Commercial, 01271 342000.