Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Fire service issues safety advice during National Chip Week.
IN the midst of National Chip Week, Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service is urging people to take vital care when frying chips.
After attending 54 chip pan fires in 2013, the service are stressing that kitchen users shouldn’t leave a chip pan unattended as the results can be disastrous.
Fire investigation officer, Mike Burroughs said: “The smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
“Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended.
“If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it– get out, stay out and call 999.”
The fire service is offering the following fire safety tips when deep-fat frying chips:
• Don’t overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full
• Be careful that it doesn’t overheat - hot oil can catch fire easily
• Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot
• Never throw water on a chip pan fire
• Got the post pub munchies? Don’t cook after drinking alcohol
• In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place
• Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999
• Get a smoke alarm and test it regularly