Don't miss a story sign up to the North Devon Gazette's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Fire service issues safety advice after chimney fire spate

10:51 16 October 2012

�

Archant

With the nights creeping in, the fire service is encouraging those with chimneys to stay safe.

WITH the colder weather drawing in, fire crews have been called out to a number of chimney fires this week.

On Monday at 5.45pm, a crew from Torrington used small tools and a hosereel jet to extinguish a small fire in a chimney at a house in Haytown in Putford.

A fire engine from Hatherleigh attended a chimney fire above an open fire at a house in Totten Road in the town.

The crew arrived around 11.30am and used chimney gear and ladders to access and extinguish the fire.

On Saturday evening an appliance from North Tawton attended an incident in Hollacombe near Chulmleigh.

The crews arrived at 9.30pm and used a thermal imaging camera to locate hot spots and chimney extinguishing gear.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue have advised those with chimneys they need to keep them dirt free and clean them regularly to avoid problems.

A spokesman said: “Make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep.

“Check that your chimneys and flues are clean and well maintained and free of any blockages like bird nests and cobwebs.

“The chimney breast itself will need inspecting, particularly in the roof space, making sure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.”

Oil and gas fire chimneys should be swept once a year, bituminous coals should be swept twice a year, smokeless coals at least once a year and wood up to four times a year.

The fire service has issued the following top tips for safer chimneys:

• Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers

• Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed or leaving the house

• When burning wood, use dry, seasoned woods only

• Never burn cardboard boxes or waste paper

• Do not overload the grate

• Consider having a carbon monoxide detector fitted as an additional safeguard against the build up of poisonous fumes

• Have a working smoke alarm

0 comments

Other News Stories

08:48

Bideford’s brand new Lidl store is set to open in Clovelly Road this week with some special offers for customers.

Read more
09:42

Want to win dinner for two at North Devon Street Food market? Enter our competition here.

Read more
09:00

Bideford Rugby Football Club pitch will make the perfect landing pad for emergency helicopters

Read more

There will be plenty of festive cheer in Bideford as the businesses put on a late night shopping event.

Read more
10:49

There were mince pies and mead at the annual Bideford Town Council lease signing ceremony this weekend.

Read more
Yesterday, 16:24

Sighting was only the sixth ever recorded in the UK – and the first in England

Read more
Yesterday, 11:33

Stagecoach say routes have been redesigned following feedback from bus users

Read more
Yesterday, 10:29

All the photos and video from the Santas on the Run event and the Bideford Christmas light switch on yesterday (Sunday).

Read more
Yesterday, 09:41

Coastguard and lifeboat teams joined recover efforts on Saturday evening

Read more
Sunday, December 4, 2016

Official diversion will be some 17 miles long when work begins on the Caen Street flood defences

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 9°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

North Devon's trusted business finder

Find planning applications