Fire crews cut away floor boards at Halwill chimney fire

09:37 10 February 2014

Archant

Smoke was entering the first floor after a fire broke out in a cottage’s chimney.

FIRE crews had to cut away floorboards at a cottage in Halwill after a fire broke out in the chimney on Sunday lunchtime.

A crew from Holsworthy arrived at the scene just before 1pm and requested back up to arrive from Hatherleigh.

Fire fighters confirmed the fire involved a solid fuel stove and smoke was entering the first floor due to the chimney being lined with a steel liner.

Crews got to work cutting away the floor boards, extinguishing the fire using chimney gear, and remained on scene to cool the fire.

0 comments

Other News Stories

Fri, 16:40
The Pride in Ilfracombe winners with their awards and Mayor, George Squires. Picture: Sam Scott

Unsung heroes and heroines of all ages step forward at the Pride in Ilfracombe Awards.

Read more
Fri, 16:39
Barnstaple will see in 2015 with a fireworks display, it has been confirmed.

Firms stump up the cash to help town see in 2015 in style.

Read more
Fri, 12:46
The pups in their new home

Wildlife and Dinosaur Park team up with RSPCA to help seal pups

Read more
Fri, 11:39
Kevin Carlyle’s festive lights display in Springfield Road, Bickington. Picture: Submitted

Festive display pulls in the crowds – and donations for air ambulance.

Read more

Local Weather

Rain

Rain

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C

Most Read News

Family notices
Subscriptions
Reader travel
Advertise
Photo Orders
Competitions
Facebook
Twitter
North Devon Football League
North Devon Gazette E-edition

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition today E-edition
North Devon�s trusted business finder