Fire crews cut away floor boards at Halwill chimney fire

09:37 10 February 2014

Archant

Smoke was entering the first floor after a fire broke out in a cottage’s chimney.

FIRE crews had to cut away floorboards at a cottage in Halwill after a fire broke out in the chimney on Sunday lunchtime.

A crew from Holsworthy arrived at the scene just before 1pm and requested back up to arrive from Hatherleigh.

Fire fighters confirmed the fire involved a solid fuel stove and smoke was entering the first floor due to the chimney being lined with a steel liner.

Crews got to work cutting away the floor boards, extinguishing the fire using chimney gear, and remained on scene to cool the fire.

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 07:30
North Devon Magistrates' Court.

The 52-year-old made 320 calls in 2014 after doctor told her to call out-of-hours number if she felt unwell.

Read more
Fri, 17:00
Site manager Stephen Hall gives the Gazette a tour of  Anchorwood Bank in Barnstaple. Picture: Andy Keeble

Demolition contractor gives us exclusive access to Barnstaple’s biggest regeneration site in a generation.

Read more
Fri, 15:24
Roots Manuva will be headlining GoldCoast Oceanfest on Friday, June 19

GoldCoast Oceanfest has announced the first of its headliners for this year’s festival.

Read more
Fri, 15:23
Barnstaple police station

Victim screamed and managed to evade attacker but police now seek witnesses.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 4°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition today E-edition



North Devon's trusted business finder