Fire crews cut away floor boards at Halwill chimney fire
PUBLISHED: 09:37 10 February 2014 | UPDATED: 09:37 10 February 2014
Smoke was entering the first floor after a fire broke out in a cottage’s chimney.
FIRE crews had to cut away floorboards at a cottage in Halwill after a fire broke out in the chimney on Sunday lunchtime.
A crew from Holsworthy arrived at the scene just before 1pm and requested back up to arrive from Hatherleigh.
Fire fighters confirmed the fire involved a solid fuel stove and smoke was entering the first floor due to the chimney being lined with a steel liner.
Crews got to work cutting away the floor boards, extinguishing the fire using chimney gear, and remained on scene to cool the fire.