Firefighters called to Barnstaple home after mobile phone explodes
PUBLISHED: 11:48 04 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:48 04 November 2017
Owner removed battery but fire service called as a precaution.
An exploding mobile phone caused alarm at a home in Barnstaple last night (Friday).
Firefighters were called to a smoke-logged property in Boutport Street at around 9pm.
The caller had removed the battery from the phone and placed it in a bowl of water but called 999 due to concerns about the amount of smoke.
A crew from Barnstaple confirmed that the fire was out on our arrival and cleared the smoke using natural ventilation.
They also offered fire safety advice to the owner of the phone, who was uninjured.