Double shout for fire crews

09:56 13 April 2012

�

Archant

Fire crews attended two separate small kitchen fires last night, and a female casualty was treated at one of the scenes.

A WOMAN refused to leave her property when it caught alight last night (Thur) due to her pet being still in the property.

The small fire in the kitchen at Geneva Court, Bideford, was caused when the food she was cooking overheated and caught alight.

Two fire crews attended the property within 7 minutes of the 10.30pm callout, and fire control stayed on the phone with the woman who refused to leave the house.

By the time fire crews arrived the fire was out, and the woman was treated by ambulance personnel for smoke inhalation.

There was little fire damage to the property, and the pet was unharmed.

Group commander for Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue said: “People are very passionate about their pets and some times we have to stop people going back in themselves.

“I will take this opportunity to say that we will get to the scene quickly and commit where we can to rescue animals.

“We will always do our best to save any lives.”

*******************************************************************************

FIRE CREWS also attended a property in Westward Ho! last night (Thur) just before 9.30pm.

Three fire engines arrived at the house in Kala Fair to find a small fire in the kitchen.

There were no rescues from the property and crews were at the scene for 24 minutes.

0 comments

Other News Stories

Ian Roome, fundraising manager; Andrew Spear, Morgan Sindall project manager; David Wilson, architect; James Bonetta, of NDCCCT; Phil Humphreys, NDDH facilities; Rae Reynalds, operations manager.

It’s taken four years of fundraising, but thanks to your support, North Devon’s brand new £2.2million treatment unit opens today (Monday).

Read more
The sheep escaped onto the A39 on Sunday morning near Abbotsham, Bideford. Picture: The BIG Sheep.

A flock from The BIG Sheep made a break for it yesterday (Sunday) but were safely rescued from the main road.

Read more
13:24

Developers seek to turn part of the pub into housing with new application

Read more
Denise Short, The Champ's manager, and Paul Stewart-Reed, Clearwater’s head brewer.

Appledore pub given new lease of life after being taken over by Bideford brewery.

Read more
Gale force winds are forecast for the festive week ahead.

Region can expect strong gusts in exposed and coastal areas through tonight (Monday) and tomorrow.

Read more

Fire fighters called out to assist with unstable scaffolding on Arlington Hotel.

Read more
The proposed hotel in Westward Ho!

Councillors will once again be deciding the fate of the luxury £3million development proposals for Westward Ho!

Read more

Fire fighters received reports of a boiler exploding at Swimbridge property on Saturday.

Read more
Computer

Join us on Wednesay evening (April 1) for your chance to grill the Torridge election candidates from 7pm-9pm.

Read more
Saturday, March 28, 2015
Scenes from the big Chemo Appeal Abseil at Heanton Church.

Fundraisers defy gravity to help swell Chemotherapy Appeal funds at Heanton Punchardon abseil event.

Read more

Local Weather

Rain

Rain

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 8°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition today E-edition



North Devon's trusted business finder