August 22 2014 Latest news:
Friday, June 6, 2014
Planning inspectorate hearing set to start on Tuesday.
A THREE-day appeal against a decision to refuse plans for up to 95 new homes in Chulmleigh was due to start on Tuesday.
Proposals for the development off Leigh Road were rejected by North Devon Council planners in November last year.
The council said the location, scale and number of homes would have an ‘unsympathetic’ impact on the character of the area.
But Devonshire Homes has launched an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate, which will be heard at Chulmleigh Community College.
Steve Russell, managing director of Devonshire Homes, said: “There is a severe need for good quality housing in North Devon.
“We believe our plans for new homes on developable land adjacent to Leigh Road will meet the demand for a broad mix of accommodation, including affordable homes.”
But Chulmleigh-based district councillor Sue Croft said local residents were unanimous in their objection to the scheme and she felt that development in the town should be phased during the next 15 years.
She said: “The increase in housing in Chulmleigh should be phased over the lifetime of the North Devon Local Plan and not implemented in year one or soon thereafter.
“The new housing over the life of the plan should not be in the hands of one single developer.
“The community infrastructure can’t sustain the consequences of a 15 per cent increase in the housing stock and another say 250 people over a short period rather than through a measured integration because.”
Cllr Croft said the road network was already inadequate and parking in the centre was limited at the best of times.
“The roads are clogged at school times and delivery lorries often bring Chulmleigh to a stand-still,” she said.