Thursday, February 28, 2013
Fire fighters were called extinguish two chimney fires in Bideford and Torrington.
FIRE crews attended two chimney fires in 12 hours yesterday (Wed) and today in Bideford and Torrington.
Just after 6.10pm yesterday, a fire engine from Bideford was called to Glebe Houses at Abbotsham after the occupant of a house reported a chimney fire.
Crews found the fire involved a range and extinguished the flames using chimney gear.
At 5am today, a fire engine from Torrington was scrambled to a report of a chimney fire at South Hill Cottages in Little Torrington.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said this was a ‘straightforward’ chimney fire.
They used chimney gear to extinguish the fire from the grate.
In both circumstances, the owners were given safety advice by fire crews before they left the scene.