Coroner warns against barbecues in tents after carbon monoxide death

13:57 23 July 2014

North Devon Magistrates Court, Barnstaple

North Devon Magistrates Court, Barnstaple

Archant

Young woman who died in Braunton campsite had fatal levels of carbon monoxide in her blood.

A CORONER has warned of the dangers of using barbecues or camping stoves inside tents after a young woman was killed by carbon monoxide last year.

University student Bethan O’Brien, 20, from Andover was found dead in her tent at the Secret Spot Camping Site at Moor Lane Nursery, Braunton, on August 18 last year.

Her friends Jack Horsfield and Oliver Denton were also found to have high levels of carbon dioxide in their blood and had to be taken to North Devon District Hospital.

The trio arrived at the campsite in Saunton Road late on Friday, August 16, and after spending the night in their tent, went surfing the following day at Croyde.

They spent the evening eating fish and chips and having a few drinks in Croyde before returning to the campsite in Braunton at around 10.30pm.

Mr Horsfield told the inquest it was cold when they arrived back at the tent and they had lit a cobblestone camping oven which was placed inside the tent to keep it warm.

He said the door of the tent was left partially open and all of the vents were open too.

The three friends went to bed at around 11.30pm. Later that night Mr Horsfield woke up and vomited but thought it was due to the food he had eaten.

At around 6.30am, he woke to find Bethan was not breathing and dialled 999 while running to get help from the campsite owners.

Mr Horsfield and campsite owner Joanna Thomas attempted CPR, while Mr Denton was unable to stand due to the effects of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

Paramedics confirmed Bethan’s death at 6.59am and took Mr Denton and Mr Horsfield to hospital.

A post mortem proved Bethan had a carbon monoxide level of 53 per cent in her blood which would have proved fatal.

Campsite owner Joanna Thomas told the inquest there were many warning signs around the campsite stating the dangers of placing barbecues in tents.

She also said that upon booking, guests were emailed a list of rules and regulations which also highlighted these dangers.

Coroner Elizabeth Earland recorded a conclusion of accidental death contributed to by neglect, offering her sympathy to Bethan’s family.

She said: “I want to make it plain to the public the dangers of bringing barbecues or any kind of firing material in or near tents where there is a closed atmosphere.

“Once the occupants succumb to carbon monoxide it can be fatal.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other North Devon Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by North Devon Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique North Devon Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 17:08
The Tyrrell Hospital in Ilfracombe

Commissioners are set to decide today whether to reduce beds at Ilfracombe, South Molton, Bideford and Holsworthy.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:36
North Devon Beer Festival 2015

Hundreds of people descended on Barnstaple’s pannier market over the bank holiday weekend for the annual North Devon Beer Festival.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:21
The former RAF watchtower at Winkleigh is up for sale.

Parts of historic World War Two fighter station up for sale on June 17

Read more
Yesterday, 17:16
The Mayor, Val Elkins, conducts the official opening of the new RGP Architects building.

Local architects transform a former derelict building into something rather eye-catching...

Read more
Yesterday, 14:26
From left: Commanding Officer Mike Clarke, Dr Paul Bowser, John Puddy, Chris deBlocq Van Kuffeler, Lady Attlee, Peter Christie, Earl Attlee and Cllr Andrew Eastman

A historic steam ship could be moored at the Bank End of Bideford Quay by next spring.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:33
Petroc's main Barnstaple campus in Sticklepath. Picture: Submitted

Find out more about studying for a degree at Petroc in Barnstaple with open event.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:24
Phil Pester

Councillor Philip Pester will serve his second run as Mayor of Bideford.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:15
Changes to wildlife protection laws could have 'catastrophic' consequences for creatures like otters.

To mark International Otter Awareness Day today (Wednesday) North Devon wildlife lovers are being urged to report otter sightings.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:11

The man in his 80s was airlifted to Derriford Hospital after the collision yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:05
Former paratrooper Justin Proctor has given up a 27-year career in the army to start up his own business cleaning wheelie bins. Picture: Andy Keeble

Justin Proctor, 41, is leaving the forces after a 25-year-career to embark on a new venture cleaning wheelie bins.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 11°C

Most Read News

Great British Life


Great British Life
Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition today E-edition



North Devon's trusted business finder