Combe Martin Carnival raft race cancelled due to conditions
PUBLISHED: 15:34 10 August 2014
Organisers reluctantly pull the plug on racing events at the beach today (Sunday) with high winds prompting safety concerns.
COMBE Martin Carnival raft race has been cancelled this afternoon because of the high winds.
The 4pm race had originally been due to go ahead today (Sunday) but after assessing the conditions organisers posted on the carnival’s Facebook page to say it had been called off.
In a statement, they said: ‘We are very sorry but we have just re-assessed the situation and for safety reasons will now have to cancel the Raft Race.
‘We appreciate many of you have put in a lot of effort but we cannot take any risks’.
A later post said no other date was available for a raft race during the current carnival week, as all the necessary factors needed to hold the race could not be arranged.
The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for South West England today, with rain forecast for later this afternoon and winds gusting at more than 30mph at times.
The weather has also combined with high tides this weekend.
There is plenty more to see and do for the rest of Carnival Week, with Fairy Queen Night at the Pack O’ Cards tomorrow (Monday) from 6pm to choose the carnival royalty and Carnival Ambassador for Wednesday evening’s parade.
The main carnival parade assembles at the top of the village from 6pm, setting off at 7.30pm.
There is a second parade on Friday, with the madcap mayhem of the Wheelbarrow Race at 8pm. New for this year, families and children are invited to join in too.
Other events this year include the annual Flower Festival at St Peter ad Vincula Parish Church from Saturday through to Tuesday, from 10am-4pm daily (Sunday 10.45am).
Find out more at www.combemartincarnival.com or visit the Combe Martin Carnival page on Facebook.