Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Fire service issue safety warning for households with chimneys as summer draws to a close.
FIRE crews were called out to Ruxfield in Kentisbury yesterday evening (Tues) to reports of a chimney fire.
Crews from Combe Martin were scrambled to the scene just after 7pm and used chimney gear to locate the fire in the chimney breast.
As the summer draws to a close, the fire service is urging people to make sure their chimney is safe and swept by a registered chimney sweep.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue is advising those with open fires use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks and to make sure embers are properly put out before going to bed.
A spokesman said: “With the colder, winter months looming, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again.
“In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn, and to have a working smoke alarm in your home.
“The latest statistics show that there are approximately 7,000 chimney fires a year in England, but most chimney fires are preventable.”