Don't miss a story sign up to the North Devon Gazette's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Bullmastiff rescued from house fire in Bideford

09:42 20 May 2013

The scene of the fire in the High Street in Bideford. Pic: Matthew Gilbert.

The scene of the fire in the High Street in Bideford. Pic: Matthew Gilbert.

Archant

The 10-stone dog and a cat were rescued as fire fighters tackled the blaze in Bideford High Street.

A 10-stone bullmastiff was pulled from a burning building on Saturday after a fire broke out at house in Bideford High Street.

Fire crews from Bideford, Appledore and Torrington were scrambled to reports of the fire at around 8pm after receiving numerous calls from the public.

As crews approached the scene, they could see thick, black smoke issuing from the first floor window, said station manager Neil Hole.

“When we arrived the report I had from a neighbour was that six people – four children and two adults – were living in the property and unaccounted for,” he said.

“We had six breathing apparatus wearers in there at one point fighting the fire.

“After about half an hour we realised there were no people in the property and the occupants actually arrived at the scene.

“Crews worked extremely hard controlling the fire which had started in the freezer in the kitchen on the ground floor.

“The fire had then spread to the first floor bedroom.”

While conducting searches of the house, crews rescued a cat, which was treated with oxygen therapy, and discovered the bullmastiff hiding under the stairs.

“The mastiff had found the only place in the house where he would have survived, he was quite lucky,” said Neil.

Bideford High Street was closed until midnight as crews fought the blaze.

The house was approximately 50 per cent damaged by fire and 80-90 per cent damaged by smoke.

“Crews worked really hard to bring the fire under control and conduct search and rescue efforts,” said Neil.

Fire fighters used two hose reel jets and a covering jet to extinguish the fire as well as a thermal imaging camera and a ventilation fan.

Did you witness the fire on Saturday evening? Send your photos to sarah.howells@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Other News Stories

12:08

Well known local DJ James Chapple says it would be ‘crazy’ if maternity services moved out of North Devon

Read more
10:31

New Natural England powers give trust authority to remove otters from English fisheries

Read more
10:26

Fourth Project SEARCH programme organised with Petroc for young people gets underway in North Devon

Read more
09:52

Cross country race starts and finishes at Lynmouth on October 9

Read more
Yesterday, 15:29

A surprise extra trio brings the iconic ‘I’d rather be in North Devon’ fleet up to five

Read more
Yesterday, 12:58

Casualties described as ‘walking wounded’

Read more
Yesterday, 12:36

Beach operators have revealed the mystery behind strange black patches which have appeared on Saunton Sands.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:23

Police have released pictures of Bideford mugging which took place in Honestone Street - can you help identify the two suspects?

Read more
Yesterday, 09:58

An ex-fire fighter from South Molton is speaking out about mental health and living with paranoid schizophrenia, as part of our Let’s Talk About It campaign.

Read more
Wed, 17:51

Police call for victims to come forward after 21-year-old had to be carried home unconscious after just three drinks...

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 9°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
North Devon Football League
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus Page
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the North Devon Gazette e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

North Devon's trusted business finder

Find planning applications