Building evacuated after battery charger starts fire in Ilfracombe
PUBLISHED: 11:23 28 January 2018 | UPDATED: 11:23 28 January 2018
Fire crews from Ilfracombe, Woolacombe and Braunton attended the call this morning.
A property in Ilfracombe was evacuated this morning after a battery charger caught fire.
Firefighters from Ilfracombe, Woolacombe and Braunton were called out to Watermouth Road at 8.50am following a call from the owner of the property who reported a fire in the cellar. They confirmed everyone had been evacuated safely at the time of call.
The fire engine from Ilfracombe confirmed on arrival that smoke was coming from the lower ground floor.
Cews entered the property in to investigate and began extinguishing the fire with breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and safety jet.
A fire service spokesman said: “At 9.59am crews confirmed the fire, involving a battery charger, was out and the incident under control. A thermal imaging camera was used to check for any hotspots, whilst they ventilated the floor effected. The fire started accidentally, damage was minimal and there were no casualties.
“Crews carried out a Hot Strike, promoting fire safety awareness to neighbouring properties, before leaving duty of care with the owner.”